Use of 2019-2021 budgetary surplus
Resolved, that the Executive Council, meeting in San Juan, Puerto Rico April 20-23, 2022, directs that 20% of the estimated $6.5 million unallocated 2019-2021 budgetary surplus be placed into short-term reserves; and be it further
Resolved, that 80% of that unallocated surplus be placed in a new trust fund; and be it further
Resolved, that the Executive Council strongly encourages future Executive Councils to utilize the funds in the new trust for identified initiatives and ongoing work such as:
- analysis of our work as a granting institution
- an audit of current staff and Executive Council roles and responsibilities
- pastoral support for grief work across the Church
- adaptive realignment of our institutional structure
- the work of Truth, Reckoning, and Healing
- unfunded General Convention resolutions
- future budget shortfalls
Resolved, that this resolution is an exception to FFM-078 of June 2017.
The General Convention budget for 2019-2021 ended with an estimated surplus of $13.8 million. $2.3 million was used to produce a balanced budget in 2022; $5.0 million was used to produce a balanced draft budget for 2023-2024. The unallocated remainder equals $6.5 million.
FFM-078 is available here: https://www.episcopalarchives.org/cgi-bin/executive_council/EXCresolution.pl?exc_id=EXC062017.24